PLTMax® Human Platelet Lysate
PLTMax® Human Platelet Lysate is a growth factor-rich supplement that is a superior alternative to fetal bovine serum (FBS) for cell culture, including human mesenchymal stem cell (MSC) culture. PLTMax® has a proven track record of clinical use. It has been used to grow cells that have been used in hundreds of patients around the world. PLTMax® is used as a manufacturing component in the generation of adult stems cells in clinical trials in North America, Europe, South America, Middle East, Asia and Australia (Phase I to Phase III) in indications including neurology, nephrology, gastrointestinal disease, wound repair and cardiology.
- Contains more than 100 growth factors and proteins
- Enhances genetic stability in stem cell cultures
- Used in more than 30 clinical trials worldwide
- Heparin is required
PLTMax® Human Platelet Lysate is derived from normal human donor platelets collected at U.S. blood centers. Multiple donors units are pooled in large batch sizes and manufactured to produce a consistent product.
Addition of an anti-coagulant, such as heparin, is required to inhibit coagulation in media supplemented with PLTMax®. Add heparin to a final concentration of 2 U/mL when preparing complete medium.
Figure 1. Minimal batch variation is seen by real-time imaging of adipose-derived MSCs across five production lots of PLTMax® Human Platelet Lysate. The growth of cells cultured in media from each lot of PLTMax® is plotted based on cell density measured at regular culture timepoints. The difference in cell culture media performance can be seen as early as 36 hours in culture.
Figure 2. Real time imaging of adipose-derived MSC growth using PLTMax® or PLTGold® Human Platelet Lysate as a media supplement showed increased cell growth kinetics compared to cells grown in medium supplemented with FBS or Human AB Serum.
|Storage||Store at -80°C upon receipt. Thaw at room temperature or in a water bath. After thawing, aliquot and store at -20°C or colder. Long term storage at -80°C is recommended. Multiple freeze/thaw cycles are not recommended.|
- Brochure: Human Platelet Lysate for Cell Therapy Research
- Research Spotlight: Comparative study on the expansion and characterization of bone marrow derived hMSCs for clinical relevancy.
- PLTMax SDS
- Human Platelet Lysate FAQs
References and Publications
- Bhat, S., et al. 2021. Expansion and characterization of bone marrow derived human mesenchymal stromal cells in serum-free conditions. Scientific Reports.
- Parney IF., et al. 2020. Novel strategy for manufacturing autologous dendritic cell/allogeneic tumor lysate vaccines for glioblastoma. Neurooncol Adv.
- Parney IF., et al. 2019. Senolytics decrease senescent cells in humans: Preliminary report from a clinical trial of Dasatinib plus Quercetin in individuals with diabetic kidney disease. EBioMedicine. ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02848131. Senescence, Frailty, and Mesenchymal Stem Cell Functionality in Chronic Kidney Disease: Effect of Senolytic Agents.